Graduate Coordinator Office Hours
Open: R 8:00am-12:30pm and 1:30pm-5:00pm.
Appointment only: F 8:00am-12:00pm
Michael Reedy was born in Galesburg, Illinois. He received a BFA in Drawing from North Central College, a MFA in Painting from Northern Illinois University. He began teaching at EMU in 2005.
In my most recent works I have begun to explore visual complexity and ornamentation in conjunction with my prior interests; which have long been rooted in contemporary trends in figurative and portrait based works, as well as fringe images of the body, either in medical illustration or cartoons. I believe this push towards excess propels the figures in to another space and permits the psychological possibilities or fantasies of the figures (or those embedded in the narrative) to operates outside of normal spatial conventions, and in short become uncanny. In some respects my goal has been to make each new image more beautiful and self-indulgent than the last.
recent exhibitions and publications
- 2nd Annual Nude, International Juried Exhibition, Manifest Creative Research Gallery, Cincinnati, OH. Catalog available..
- 6th Annual Magnitude Seven, International Juried Exhibition, Manifest Creative Research Gallery and Drawing Center, Cincinnati , OH. Catalog available..
- Selections from the INDA 5, International Juried Exhibition, Parallel Space, Manifest Creative Research Gallery, Cincinnati, OH. Catalog available..
- Au Naturel – the nude in the 21st century, National Juried Exhibition, Clatsop Community College, Art Center Gallery, Astoria , OR.
- Interpretations of the Figure, Regional Juried Exhibition, University of Indianapolis, Christel DeHaan Fine Arts Center, Indianapolis, IN.