Welcome, I can't wait to meet you!
Director Sandra MurchisonI am thrilled to serve as the first Director of the School of Art & Design at Eastern Michigan University. What once was the department of art, has now become the School of Art & Design as we are on the threshold of receiving national accreditation.
It's a joy to serve in an art school that maintains as many areas of studio concentrations as we do, while instructing future art educators and maintaining curriculum anchored with art history.
- In 2015 the University committed $900,000 towards the renovation and remodel of the sculpture building. Construction began in Winter 2015 and in Fall 2015 class resumed in the 6,380 square foot newly renovated facility.
- In Summer 2015 the Department made improvements to the Woodshop/Furniture Design studio by reconfiguring the electrical system to accommodate a more flexible and open work space.
- In Fall 2015 construction began in Sherzer Hall for the move of the Sherzer computer lab to a larger space. This moved the computer lab from a 330 square foot room to a 1,170 square foot studio space.
- This Fall we will welcome a new Renaissance art historian, Pamela Stewart.
- This year also marked the retirement of Visual Resource Librarian Carole Pawloski.
- This Fall (2016) the Bachelor of Art Education will become the BFA in Visual Arts Education.