ABOUT THE SCHOOL OF ART & DESIGN
The School of Art & Design at Eastern Michigan University provides students and faculty in art history, studio art and visual art education with an environment that fosters excellence in teaching, creative work and research, and a department-wide focus on student-centered learning.
Students are provided with a range of academic and professional experiences in and beyond the classroom. These activities:
- Provide a solid foundation in the skilled use of materials, tools and techniques associated with a wide range of artistic and classroom practices.
- Promote interest in and knowledge of key issues and processes relating to contemporary and historical art, artists and educators.
- Engender comprehension of visual language as a means of communication.
- Foster an understanding of the larger role that the visual arts and design play in society.
- Enable students to explore issues of diversity, especially in terms of the art world and its cultural influences and audiences.
- Encourage experimentation, intellectual risk-taking, and critical reading/writing/thinking.
The School of Art & Design at EMU consists of four undergraduate programs and three graduate programs in studio art, art history and visual art education. They are tightly interrelated, sharing faculty, facilities, resources and a common interest in the understanding, creation and advancement of visual art. Synergies often develop as students and faculty work together within and across various program areas.
The programs range in size and focus from the Visual Arts Education program that leads its peers in the outstanding preparation of art teachers, to an Art History program that not only helps EMU art and general education students understand their shared visual culture, but has provided additional leadership and outreach to the community through its development of exhibitions of historical and contemporary art and artists. The Bachelor of Fine Arts and Masters of Fine Arts programs lead the department in the number of majors. They are recognized for their excellence in the preparation of studio artists.
The School of Art & Design consists of 30 full-time faculty members teaching in 4 undergraduate programs and 10 concentrations. Our faculty members are experienced, practicing artists and scholars. Nearly all hold the highest degree in their field (PhD or MFA). The student to faculty ratio is 12/1. The average class section size is 12. Nearly all art major classes are taught by regular, full-time faculty.
Eastern Michigan University
Department of Art
114 Ford Hall
Ypsilanti, MI 48197